In summary, my confident in this tool is severely dented and tested. It is not its encryption capability but in its operations:
- When it goes bad, it appears to lock up the machine and the machine seems to misbehave becoming uncooperative. Ever since I had my XP Tablet PC (512M running XP Pro with minimal AV running on demand and is set up to run LUA) for over 2 years, I cannot remember I have to force reboot it so frequently until I am testing TrueCrypt. It almost wears out my reset button on my tablet.
- Often, it is not a lock up but for some unknown reason it tkes a long time (~4 minutes) to allow the machine to come out of a comatose state. There is no sign that it will come out of this comatose state. All one can do is to wait and pray.
- When the file container is on a Network Share, copying files out of it produces some very worrying result. The only way to get the PC back to normal is by rebooting it.
- Unreliable in dealing with waking up from hibernation and running TrueCrypt.exe. It leads to cases where it cannot reconnect to the device driver in Traveler mode. As said, it is not happening all the time but the pattern leading to this has not yet been identified.
The facts of not knowing when it will fail, when I need to restart my machine as it cannot deal with waking up from hibernation, or when it locks up my machine have dented my confidence in this tool. The unknown is killing the confidence.
Mounting File Container from Network Share.In this usage scenario, two PCs were involved. The remote machine, an XP Pro, contained the file container and a client machine, another XP Pro machine, was used to mount this container. The was never a chance that multiple client was mounting the same container. The exercise was to copy the entire contents, a directory tree full of PDF and chm files, from this container to a directory on the remote machine.
Each file in the container was not large (~24M) but there were many. XCopy command was used rather than the Windows Explorer.
After copying almost 80% from this container (2G), the client machine suddenly reported Delay Write Failed, Event ID 26 & 50. After that the Network Share was inaccessible though I could connect to it by IP address. The remote machine had not gone down at all as I could use RDP (Remote Desktop) to access it.
What was strange was that in Windows Explorer on the client machine it was showing the directory containing the container on the remote as being compressed and the file container was missing,
But the RDP session confirmed otherwise. After rebooting the client PC, the directory containing the file container on the remote machine and the container file were shown as not compressed.
What had gone wrong? Why was the Delay Write Failure causing the client machine to misbehave so badly.
Using it in Traveller Mode.On my tablet PC, situations had been encountered when I tried to restart TrueCrypt.exe after the machine came out of hibernation only to encounter the following dialog boxes,
The report from System Information confirmed that TrueCrypt.sys had been stopped and hanging around.
This forced me to restart the machine defeating the purpose of hibernation.
I had been diligent to ensure all mounted volumes were dismounted and TrueCrypt.exe was terminated properly prior to put my machine into hibernation. What was causing this problem? Was it because the machine was in LUA? But then again, why prior situations of coming out of hibernation did not cause this problem?
The disturbing fact was that the machine has gone into hibernation and out of it for a number of times before encountering this problem. So far there did not appear to be any pattern to cause this problem and this unpredictable behavior was far worse than outright failure.
Lock up but technically not a lock up, if you wait long enough.There were operations with TrueCrypt.exe or interactions with the mount drives that caused the Tablet PC (the Desktop XP did not seem to be affected by this) to appear to lock up. The behavior or parts of Tablet XP that seemed to be affected were:
- the Windows Explorer, even the File Open Dialog box was affected when invoked in another program, such as MSPaint.
- Process Explorer appeared to be unable to delete process,
- inability to use Windows Explorer. Command line operations unhindered unless it was querying a mounted drive's directory information.
During that time, the CPU was just ticking over with plenty of reserve around and memory was not in demand. So what was happening? I suspected the TrueCrypt driver was the culprit.
Why was the problem so severe that I could not do anything but wait and for how long? Everything seemed to be held back until TrueCrypt came out of comatose state. The was totally no feedback to the user. Often I did not start Windows Explorer relying solely in command prompt/PowerShell until all volumes were mounted. Still the lock up affected the desktop and start button. Terrible.
At other time, when I either mounted a volume or dismount one, it took an inordinately long time (~3-4 minutes) before TrueCrypt came out of the operation. So long that the XP ghost window came into effect. This meant the TrueCrypt was blocked in a method call unable to reach the GetMessage() call to clear the Windows Messages. Sometime it was quick to mount but terribly long to make that drive accessible. Initially I thought TrueCrypt and/or my machine was frozen but patience was the key ingredients to get it working. This was not good enough! I could mount a USB drive in seconds and reliably every time. All my file containers were on my hard drive and so it should have better response than USB drive.
At the moment, I am only using TrueCrypt for testing until my confidence is restored and that its behavior is more predictable.