Below are a number of cases of my fault reporting experiences and the vastly different experiences I have encountered. You be the judge who should deserve the wooden spoon.
Possible Microsoft Enterprise Library bug - Range Validation configuration.Recently, I have decided to use the Microsoft Enterprise Library 3.0 and in particular the Validation Application Block. During my experimentation with using the Configuration Console, I have discovered the console is not behaving logically. After extensive experimentation, I have formed the opinion that the validation process used in the console is faulty preventing me to save the configuration file and that a work around has been found.
So I fired a comment to the forum responsible for the Ent Lib to seek the expert opinion. With speed commensurates with Internet Time, the moderator of the forum recognized a bug and raise a work item. Full mark for their effort.
Something amiss - two minor releases of Gnu Win32 port of grep behaving differentlyI am a frequent user of this great tool called grep that is rooted in Unix. Recently, I had to perform some recursive search using regular expression in some C# files. I found a version of grep in my machine that allowed me to successfully locate the lines with this command line:
grep -R --include="*.cs" -P "^[ \t]+class" *I looked at my grep and realized it was slightly dated and wondering if there was more recent one. So I searched Google and found the two sites on SourceForge. The GNU Utilities port to Windows (UnxUtils) and the Win32-versions of GNU tools (GnuWin32); not sure why two. To cut the story short, the UnxUtils contains a old version of grep, 2.4.1, which does not have the --include and -P (the Perl Regular Expression) switches.
In the latest version of GnuWin32 version 2.5.1a-1, it has the grep with the required switches. However, it does not function according to the man page. On that site it also has an earlier release, 2.5.1a, and surprisingly, this version not only has the required switches, they function according to the man page.
Seeing these distinct differences in behavior, I duly submitted a bug report. The information provided must be clear enough to indicate something was wrong and the status had been changed and assigned to someone for further investigation. It could mean my usage of the switches combination is wrong too. In that case, 2.5.1a-1 needs to be correct. If my usage is right, and I am pretty sure I am right, the 2.5.1a-1 needs to be compared to 2.5.1a and rectified accordingly.
Problem in Borland's Delphi library.I must admit that I am not a long time user of Borland's Delphi programming language but in the last 2 years, I have begun reading code and writing code in Delphi - both the Win32 and Delphi.Net, of course including the VCL.Net.
I am also fortunate that I am surrounded by Delphi experts who can either correct my usage or advises me of this 'Delphi specialties'. They have also fed me many interesting stuff and many I have taken on as a challenge to get them fixed as they are clearly illogical.
Many are definitely bugs while others are of their own creation. A samples can be found in this blog for example, Delphi handles COM Server, or trying to change ECMA CLI standard. There are others that are not reported in my blog.
It is particularly interesting to note that the COM problem was first discovered in Delphi 3 and numerous users tried in vain to have this rectified. The support would preferred to argue at length of the classification of this problem than to discuss the technical issues. Perhaps they were not skillful enough to understand.
My discovery actually unearths a possibility that someone in Borland has accidentally deleted the line testing the start up mode and the code still compiled correctly giving Borland an impression of correctness.
They do not see anything wrong when they are not developing in LUA. Thanks Borland for giving me a real life illustration of the danger for not developing in LUA. This may be the same reason why their TRegistry fails too.
Even putting this aside, my code analysis of their code clearly indicates that Borland's developers do not know what is the exception handler and thus have thrown the wrong exception or vice versa. This allows the application to crash catastrophically during start up.
With only 9 lines in dispute and a well described test scenario, they steadfastly maintained that there was no bug. If that is the case, why would an automation server, that is running as a stand alone, thus not requiring to be registered, fail to run in LUA? When cornered, Borland offered all sorts of stupid 'fixes', like using special registration to HKCU hive.
Stubbornness does not fix code. It only gives developers more reason to look down on this product. It gives me indisputable examples showing the poor quality of the product and more convincing argument in product evaluation or elimination. Developers that following my suggestion to address this issue came out smiling without the need to use unorthodox hacks and even considering the laughable work around from Borland.
My blog has documented many other reports of these kind of encounters. Some of the 'incorrect behaviour' are trying to be justified as features. While others the company could not bother to comment.
To be fair, their developers had acknowledged some of my finding, not documented here, to be more than spot on, exploring areas that they had not considered. But that was as far as it went. Hardly called satisfactorily resolved.
A far cry from other more mature and definitely users friendly companies or communities.
I will definitely be monitoring the Delphi 2007 to see if these issues are addressed. If they cannot even admit fault, the first step in fixing any bug, my bet is that the fault will still be there. So if you were considering upgrade, check these issues out first or else you may be getting the same old thing with a new wrapper!