"A lot of these firms, in a downturn, having spoken about love and friendship and all that, don’t lose much sleep about getting rid of 20 per cent of the workforce," he points out.
"And that really fries your head, to be told ‘we love you, we love you’ and then to be got rid of."
Office life exists on a level of "shallow cheerfulness", and talking about a crisis of meaning or any other deep feeling is strictly frowned on.
A site devoted to discussing techniques that promote quality and ethical practices in software development.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Alain de Botton documented this artificial environment:
- ► 2013 (13)
- ► 2012 (23)
- ► 2011 (23)
- ► 2010 (60)
- Is it a second coming for Apple?
- Open Office Plan leads to lower productivity
- Setting the language in Word
- Always be vigilant about security even at places y...
- The truth about office life - shallow and fake
- How strong is your password?
- What can you do to make it harder for Conflicker?
- Google's Unit Testing framework for C++
- Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer are not the...
- Dissection of an amateurish COM business solution
- A case of deja vu
- Allowing error message to corrupt download - www.i...
- A snapshot view of how Asia's best employers deal ...
- ▼ April (13)
- ► 2008 (25)
- ► 2007 (80)